In addition to Santa Monica High School events, Barnum Hall hosts a wide range of professional and community events. Every year, the theater supports over one hundred days of school performances, meetings, assemblies and rehearsals. When not in use by the school, we rent out the hall to commercial and non-profit organizations. We currently support forty days a year of book signings, lectures, film screenings, and performances of symphonies, popular music, dance, and opera.
The renovated theater provides a range of options for performances. Some of the primary features are:
* Seating for 1,250 with 750 downstairs in the orchestra and 500 on the second level, split between 250
in the mezzanine and 500 in the upper balcony.
* Hydraulic orchestra lift
* Complete fly system with full drapes and scrim
* Full and adjustable Wenger Orchestra Shell
* Stage level loading dock
* Full lighting and sound equipment operated from back of house booth
* Screening potential with front and rear projection screen.
* Fazioli 9 foot Concert Grand Piano and 6 foot Steinway B Concert Grand
* Restored 1922 Wurlitzer Theater Pipe Organ
* Green room, dressing rooms and backstage restrooms.
We have a full technical theater staff led by Technical Theater Coordinator, David McCrum. Students trained in our Regional Occupational Program’s technical theater, film, and business classes support the use of Barnum Hall. The award winning 3 Tier Event Services, a student run business, provides parking, ushers and concessions for events.
While Barnum Hall is the flagship of our theatrical spaces, the District sports a wide range of theaters, amphitheaters and performance spaces that are available for rent by commercial and nonprofit organizations.
The Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District Theater Operations Office coordinates and manages performances, filming, and special events by outside groups on District campuses. Our staff manages and maintains the use of the District’s exquisite theatrical spaces for student productions, including Santa Monica High School’s Barnum Hall and Memorial Greek Amphitheatre. The Theater Operations Office is self-supporting and generates revenue to maintain and enhance District facilities, including all performing arts spaces.
- For more information on our other theaters, please go to our Theater Operations page.
- For more information on the rental process, please see our Theater Rental information Page.